In Minnesota, English Learners are less likely to graduate high school in four years. Language Corps is a program that trains AmeriCorps members to help multilingual students strengthen their English reading and writing skills, creating stronger students. Language Corps tutors mentor middle school students and provide support in and out of the classroom to help them understand lessons, navigate assignments, and build their confidence.
Qualifications to serve with Early Learning Corps include:
- Competent with basic computer skills (like email and navigating online)
- Fluent in English for speaking, reading, and writing 18 years of age or older with a high school diploma or equivalent
- A citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States*
- Able to successfully complete a background check
- Preferred: Experience working with youth or English Language Learning
- Preferred: Somali, Spanish, Oromo, or Hmong language skills